|The Roman Road
In ‘Roman Cheshire’ by F.M. Thompson, the following is recorded-
"In 1920, a stamped tile of the Twentieth Legion, and pottery of types manufactured at Holt were found at Reaseheath Hall. . . . . . . and if the discovery can be regarded as genuine, it points to the existence of a site in the area".
The existence of a Roman road (see Map) has been confirmed from aerial surveys and detailed field reconnaisance. This road is believed to go Northwards to Middlewich and continue South-West into the parish of Henhull and on to Baddiley Lodge and Wrenbury.
The pictures show the width, depth and composition of the road (circa 20 feet). The remains are now some 9 inches below the surface; having been ploughed away. The layer of stones extend down for about 6 inches to a sandy base before reaching clay.
For more information about Roman Roads see:
An excellent map of Roman Roads in Britain is available here:
http://www.romans-in-britain.org.uk/map_romans_roads_in_britain.htmRoman Nantwich: http://www.roman-britain.org/places/nantwich.htm
For more information about the history of Reaseheath click here
For more information about Reaseheath College click here